Favorite Hookah Flavors

  • Peach Mint
  • Guava Lemon
  • Lemon Mint
  • White Peach

Monday, June 6, 2011

Ali Mama (Silverlake/Los Feliz)

I feel like I have a ton to say about AM for a few reasons. First, it's bomb. Second, I have been here quite a few times, and had some really good times. Third, the people that work here love what they do, and they are friends, not just employees. Basically- Ali Mama rocks, and I can't bear to use a rating system on it, because I don't want to make anything seem less than it is. Ok. So, WTF is Ali Mama?!

Drive down Sunset Blvd in Silverlake for like ten minutes. Take notice of the neighborhood. It kind of reminds me of...hipsterville. Because it is. Little cafes with music notes on the signs, 'vintage' clothing stores that are more expensive than if I actually bought it new, some random book store that is open past my bedtime, and people strolling down the street wearing the two most mismatched items of clothing you could find and if you ask, it's called 'street fashion'. Anyway. Stop! You have most likely completely passed the most awesome joint in the world, and that joint is Ali Mama. There is a sign, but it's just one of those 'hole in the wall' dives that attracts people you want to meet because you want to know how they found this place. Ok, step in and take a deep breath. If you just asked, "Am I STILL in America...???" then you have found the right place. Older men sit at cramped tables playing what I now know is a card game called '14', laughing, bantering, and arguing in Arabic as Al-Jazeera creates more noise in the corner TV that is about 114 years old. Don't worry, you're good. Mustafa will take you upstairs to the 'patio' where you can smoke to your heart's content. Oh, and did I mention you can BYOB? WHAT!? Wait, Wait! Before you rush over to AM right now, you need to know a little more about Mustafa and Amin, because they are like the Green Lantern and Magneto of Hookah.

Mustafa is about 35-ish, Egyptian, and wears awesome hoodies. Whenever we leave at 3 am, he scolds us for leaving too early. Ask Mustafa what time they close. Just do it. I'm not going to say what he will answer. Amin is Tunisian, more soft spoken than Mustafa, but a super good dude to practice Arabic with and talk about politics. Ask him about the revolution in Egypt and sit down for about twenty minutes. You will never have to watch the news again.

Oh...and we ordered tangerine coconut. Actually, Mustafa ordered it for us. I think I might head over there now...

No comments:

Post a Comment